Toyota Tacoma 4×4 is a heavy-duty car, made to withstand a wide range of conditions, some parts of its suffer a higher degree of wear and tear. You need the best shocks for Toyota Tacoma 4×4 along with other parts considering its multipurpose use.
Toyota Tacoma 4×4 is the type of car you know you can rely on no matter what your task is.
However, it is not invincible and it does require maintenance and periodic repairs to stay in shape.
The vehicle’s shocks are in this particular group of parts because they support the entire weight of the car.
The good news is that you can find high-quality best shocks for Toyota Tacoma 4×4 shipped with all the accessories you need to make this replacement quick and convenient.
You May Have Some Questions Before Selecting The Best Shocks For Toyota Tacoma 4×4
What Are The Best Shocks For Toyota Tacoma 4×4?
When it comes to best shocks for Toyota Tacoma 4×4, the offers on the market are varied.
So, it may be challenging to decide which product is the best option for your car.
The main rule is to choose shocks that are compatible with your car make and model.
This means to always check the product’s specification and description, making sure it will fit your car and will provide the expected results.
Apart from this, it is recommended to invest in top quality shocks, as they are among the main parts of a Toyota Tacoma 4×4.
They will offer you comfort while making sure the vehicle drives well on roads of all kinds.
What Brand Of Shocks Can Be Used For A Toyota Tacoma 4×4?
There are various brands of shocks that can be used for a Toyota Tacoma 4×4.
Thus, you are not conditioned to use a particular brand, as long as you choose a product that is adequate for your car make and brand.
Among the available brands of shocks, you can find on the market, we can mention Bilstein, Monroe, Rancho, DTA, Fox, and several others.
This is why it is worth taking the time to check these brands out and see what each has to offer for the money you’re about to pay.
There are options for various budgets and requirements, so it is possible to find a product that works for you best.
When Should Shocks Be Replaced On Toyota Tacoma 4×4?
The shocks of a Toyota Tacoma 4×4 should be replaced in two situations.
The first situation is when you notice problems regarding the shocks equipped on your car.
If the shocks are presenting leakages, any kind of damages, or, in the worst-case scenario, they are broken, then they should be replaced as soon as possible.
Broken or damaged shocks represent a danger to the wellbeing of the driver and car’s passengers, so they should not be left in an improper state of functioning.
Secondly, the shocks on a Toyota Tacoma 4×4 should be replaced between 50 and 100k miles, even if they don’t present obvious signs of wear and tear.
Once these mileage thresholds have been exceeded, the shocks can suffer severe damages or can get broken as you drive.
Comparison Table for the Best Shocks For Toyota Tacoma 4×4
|Bilstein 5100 Monotube Gas Shock|
|Detroit Axle 171371|
The Factors To Look Before Buying The Best Shocks For Toyota Tacoma 4×4
Are you looking to buy new shocks for your Toyota Tacoma 4×4? Then, before choosing the product you will use for your vehicle, there are several factors you need to consider.
These factors will help you make the best decision and find the shocks that will serve you best, without spending a fortune on them.
Highways or Streets
If you mostly drive your Toyota Tacoma 4×4 on highways or smooth streets and roads, its shocks won’t be subjected to harsh conditions or heavy loads.
In this case, the shocks will have a long life and will be, in most cases, kept away from unwanted damages.
So, getting regular shocks, which are not the most expensive, will do in this case.
However, if you enjoy taking your vehicle on adventures now and then, you may want to check out shocks that are more reliable and could withstand a bumpier ride.
Off-road Or Trail Adventures
Toyota Tacoma 4×4 vehicles that are used frequently on off-road experienced, on trails that are not meant for regular cars, and even on dunes, will require adequate shocks.
These shocks are sturdier and will keep the car on the trail, no matter how the conditions present themselves.
Carrying Heavy Equipment for Activities
If you tow heavy loads with your car or carry heavy pieces of equipment or materials, you will need higher-end shocks that are gas-pressurized for a better performance of your car.
These shocks will make the vehicle reliable, minimize the oscillations produced by heavy loads, and help you complete each task without risking any damage to your car or having to face dangers on the road.
Adding Extra Weight By Installing Various Parts
In case you wanted additional equipment mounted on your vehicle, it is worth knowing that these added to the total weight of the car and will influence the degree of wear and tear suffered by the shocks.
Thus, you will need high-quality shocks in this case, which should also be optimized to behave well on the road, so you won’t feel the extra weight as you drive.
You can also find the best rock sliders for your Toyota Tacoma here
10 Best Shocks For Toyota Tacoma 4×4 reviews For 2020
01. Bilstein 5100 Monotube Gas Shock – Best Off Road Shocks For Tacoma
This set of shocks from Bilstein will serve the front and rear side of a vehicle.
It is suitable for Tacoma models made between 2005 and 2015, but they can be easily installed on other vehicles as well, like Pre Runner. Gas-pressurized shocks, these products will provide smoother driving experiences.
They can be mounted with ease on the vehicle, as they require a direct bolt-on installment and adjustment.
Once the shocks are installed, the height of the front shocks can be easily adjusted with the help of the ring featured on the shocks.
Besides the instructions that accompany the product, it is possible to find how-to videos that will provide guidance for the correct and easy installation of these shocks.
- A set of 4 shocks with adjustable height;
- Suitable for Toyota Tacoma 4×4 models made between 2005 and 2015;
- Installation is quick and easy;
- No need to make any modifications to the product;
- Easy to install;
- Improvements will be sensed starting with the first driving experience after the installation;
- Better than the factory setup of the truck;
- High-quality shocks for better driving, even when towing frequently;
- They may cause wobbling and vibrations in the case of some vehicles;
02. Monroe 171352R Suspension – Best Aftermarket Suspension For Tacoma
This is a strut and coil assembly provided by Monroe, made to restore the height, maneuverability, and shock absorption of trucks back to the initial standards of the vehicle, if not even beyond these standards.
The product was designed and tested rigorously so that it will indeed offer a better driving experience on all types of roads, will improve the steering of the truck, and will make rides smoother than before.
Some say that the truck drives better than it ever did with the help of these shocks, which shows the quality of this product.
The installation should be simple, as there are instructions for the process and users can enjoy videos as well.
However, not all users found the installation process easy, especially if it was their first time performing a task of this kind.
- A reliable assembly that is easy and safe to install;
- Ideal for restoring the height of the vehicle;
- Designed to provide better handling of the car and improved driving experiences;
- Made out of high-quality steel and thick tubes;
- Vibrations and road bumps are significantly reduced;
- The steering of the vehicle will become more convenient;
- Highly resilient and durable;
- Better handling of the car after the installment of the shocks;
- The shocks fit perfectly a Toyota Tacoma vehicle;
- They work great for lifting the front end of the truck;
- Good value-price ratio;
- The truck will ride like a brand-new car with these shocks;
- The installment may not be an easy task for everyone;
- In some cases, there were some slight differences between the shocks for the right and left side;
03. Bilstein 24186728 Rear Shock – Best Tacoma Rear Shocks
A rear-only shock absorber from Bilstein, this product can be an ideal choice for a smoother ride when hauling a trailer or when the truck gets equipped with additional gear.
Because this is a product designed for the rear of the truck, these shock absorbers are not suitable for the front end and will also not provide lift. However, they will work on a lifted truck.
To enjoy the best performances after the installation of the shocks, there’s the need to order two pieces so that the entire rear of the truck receivers the same setup.
- A rear shock model suitable for Toyota Tacoma models made between 2005 and 2007;
- Features a monotube design for improved performances of the vehicle;
- Easily reacts to road conditions;
- Handling of the car, comfort, and driving experiences are improved;
- Rear-only shock model that will not provide lift for your truck;
- Represents a great option for trucks hauling a trailer;
- The product will improve the performance of the car and the quality of the rides;
- Will work for vehicles with additional gear mounted on, like rooftop tent, fiberglass canopy, and more;
- The truck will ride better and smoother than when equipped with stock shocks;
- In some cases, brand new shocks leaked;
- The product is not accompanied by instructions;
04. Rancho RS9000XL Shocks
For those looking for complete strut and shock, this product may be the ideal choice.
The kit allows the user to adjust the position of the shocks in 9 different ways.
It is a product great for leveling the front suspension of the vehicle and for enjoying smoother rides, even if the road turns out to be bumpy.
If you dream of installing bigger wheels and tires on your Toyota Tacoma 4×4, this kit will make this dream possible.
Because it is capable of lifting the car, more room will become available for larger tires.
Not to mention that the truck’s stance will be significantly transformed, together with its performance on the road.
- A suspension kit that will cover the front and rear of a truck;
- It provides tuning technology that allows setting up the product in 9 different positions;
- It is ideal for adjusting the height of the front end of the truck;
- It allows the use of larger wheels and tires;
- Simplified installation that makes their setup quick and safe;
- Award-winning product for improved riding performances and vehicle stance;
- A great kit for a DIY project that will make your truck ride better;
- It is better than the factory setup of the vehicle;
- Accessible price and great quality;
- Allows bigger tires on the truck;
- The lift can be adjusted as desired;
- The installation of the kit can be complicated for those who never did anything like this before;
- Some users claim that the kit only lifted the front end of their trucks;
05. Bilstein 4600 Series Shock
Bilstein produces vehicle shocks for quite a while and it is a renowned brand in this sector.
However, these new front and rear shocks from Bilstein are even better than their predecessors.
They appear slimmer yet they care capable of providing a much smoother ride, better steering even on curvy roads, and increased shock absorbance.
Whether you are driving your truck on highways or mountain roads, these shocks will make driving more pleasant and enjoyable.
With a bit of patience, they are easy to install and setup, although the front side can pose some challenges.
- A new generation of shocks for Toyota Tacoma;
- Provides a comfortable ride while improving the car’s maneuverability on all types of roads;
- Offers a higher degree of control compared to conventional products;
- Affordable dampers that will bring considerable improvements to your truck;
- It is not difficult to install the shocks;
- The ride and car’s cornering abilities will be improved;
- The price tag is more than accessible;
- An improved version of previous shocks made by Bilstein that will make you sense the difference;
- The truck will feel safer and easier to maneuver on twisty roads;
- If you need cushions for the springs and washers, besides the shocks, they will need to be ordered separately as they are not included in this kit;
- In case the truck is driving on wet and muddy roads, like forest roads, the shocks may not provide extended mileage;
06. DTA 70090X Shocks
Anyone looking for a complete shock set that is ready to be installed as soon as it comes out of the box should take a look at this product.
The set provides two shocks for the rear side and two shocks for the front side, equipped with everything one needs for their installation.
Those experienced in DIY projects or car repair tasks will have these shocks installed quickly, by using a few hand tools.
The technology used to make the shocks will ensure a smooth ride, pleasant driving experience, and long-lasting shocks for your truck.
With the help of this set, a truck will be ready for a ride in better conditions in no time.
- A complete set that can be installed with ease;
- The struts are charged with nitrogen gas and all-weather fluid;
- The piston seal features a four-lip Teflon band;
- The coil spring is powder coated and thermally treated to resist corrosion;
- The spring seats are properly insulated, which will provide a comfortable and silent ride each time;
- A more affordable alternative to expensive shocks that provide great performances;
- The set is complete and can be installed quickly and easy;
- Makes the car more stable out on the roads;
- It fits Toyota Tacoma 4×4 models without issues;
- The set offers great value for the spent money;
- On rare occasions, the shocks leaked shortly after installation;
- The product is not accompanied by adequate instructions;
07. KYB 344428 Excel-G Gas Shock
Anyone looking for shocks that will fit perfectly for a Toyota Tacoma should know that this product was made specially to suit this car make. The reason this shock was developed is to help Toyota truck owners to restore the initial driving and control features their vehicles had in the beginning. In other words, this product will restore the truck to factory standards. With its help, a Toyota truck will drive much better, will become safer, and provide a higher degree of comfort.
- A gas shocks calibrated especially to restore the control and handling features originally offered by a Toyota truck;
- Made to last for longer, this shock features a piston coated with Teflon and a seamless working cylinder;
- Features like oil seals with multiple lips and piston rod plated with a triple layer of chrome will ensure the reduction of wear and tear;
- A product made to suit the needs and performances of Asian vehicles;
- Easy to install;
- Affordable price tag;
- Improves ride quality;
- Good quality all-purpose Toyota Tacoma shock;
- In some instances, the shocks leaked after 15k miles;
08. Detroit Axle 171371 Shocks
It’s great to have the possibility to buy a complete set of shocks that can solve a bad shocks-related issue.
These shocks can be installed immediately as they arrive and the operation will only take a few hours.
With a bit of patience and help from online videos, there’s no need to pay a mechanic to do this part.
Once installed, the shocks will work great and the effects will be felt immediately. More precisely, the car will drive better, will be more stable, and the degree of comfort will be highly improved.
- A 4-pieces set that is easy to install on a Toyota truck;
- It is suitable for Toyota Tacoma 4×4 models made between 2005 and 2015 and PreRunner 2WD models only;
- There’s no need for extra work or preparations when looking to install the shocks;
- The shocks are ready for installment as they come out of the box;
- Dirt and excess wear and tear are prevented with the help of a tighter O ring;
- The shocks are extremely easy to install, as they don’t require any prepping;
- Rides are improved, with no leaning of the truck in curves or at high speeds;
- Great value for the price tag, with the possibility to save more money if you install them on your own;
- The shocks provide extra lift while making the truck easier to handle out on the roads;
- The installment of the shocks on the front side can be tricky, if not even problematic;
09. Fox 2.0 Performance Series
There are cases in which simply replacing the shocks on the rear side will solve driving issues related to damaged shocks.
The rear side of a truck usually takes on the most difficult tasks, like hauling, towing, and carrying heavy loads.
This is why some trucks have their rear shocks damaged faster than the shocks installed on the front side.
This set from Fox is designed to provide solutions in such situations and allow an easy and hustle-free installation of the shocks.
- A set of two shocks for the rear side of a truck;
- Easy to install due to a bolt-on approach;
- A clear anodized aluminum body dissipates heat faster than shocks made out of steel, reducing the level of wear and tear;
- Improve handling of the truck even on the roughest roads;
- The set is a hustle-free solution for the replacement of rear shocks;
- The package contains the nuts, bushings, washers, and reservoir clamps required for installation;
- The boosts for the shocks, roost shields, and mounting plates need to be purchased separately;
10. Skyjacker B8527 Black MAX Shock
This product was created to serve hard-working trucks, which have their shocks heated faster and for longer periods than regular vehicles.
This continuous heating can lead to damages, this is why this shock is equipped with proper technology for effectively removing excess heat.
Due to the foam-cell design, which removes air trapped inside the shock, the product can be installed in various positions.
It is an affordable yet reliable solution when your truck needs new shocks, but your budget is tight.
- Foam cell technology of the highest grade was used for manufacturing the shock;
- The fluid capacity of the shock is increased, for dissipating heat more effectively;
- The product features a twin-tube construction;
- The valving presents a multi-stage feature, adequate for trucks;
- The price is convenient and performances are adequate;
- The truck will steer much better after the shocks have been installed;
- The ride is much improved and the suspension feels better with this product;
- Some say these shocks are too soft to suit a truck;
Buying Considerations For Choosing Top Quality Best Shocks For Toyota Tacoma 4×4
Before purchasing shocks for Toyota Tacoma 4×4, there are some aspects you need to consider. Take a look at these buying considerations as they will help you make the best choice.
Usage Of The Truck
A truck that is used for commuting on regular roads will not need special shocks. Some people simply enjoy having large vehicles for the space and freedom they provide.
But, unless you’re taking your truck on muddy mountain roads or plan to carry heavy loads, there’s no need to invest in expensive shocks.
However, if you want to add gear to your truck, like a spare wheel mounting system, fiberglass canopy, and others, a good set of shocks will support the extra weight.
Also, better shocks are needed if you plan to two a trailer with your trucks, so always have your plans into account when buying shocks.
Condition Of Your Car’s Shocks
Before you replace the shocks, you need to see how damaged they are. Maybe you just need rear shocks, as they tend to get damaged faster.
Or perhaps your front side is lower, an indicator that the shocks are not doing their job any longer, so you just need to replace these. Always assess the problem before making a choice.
Of course, if you want to install larger wheels and tires on your truck, then you may need to replace all four shocks, to make extra room for the new adjustment.
There are high-end shocks for trucks and products that are more accessible and affordable. So, it depends on how much you’re capable of spending on such products.
Also, you need to consider whether you can install them yourself or will pay for professional services in this matter.
Still, if you rely on the truck to go through rough trails and need it for various heavy-duty tasks, spending more on high-quality shocks will keep you away from a lot of trouble.
FAQ’s About Best Shocks For Toyota Tacoma 4×4
Will shocks provide a smoother ride?
Sometimes, you can’t even tell how smooth your truck can ride until you replace the old shocks with new ones.
If you pick a set of quality shocks, you won’t feel the bumps on the road, and driving experiences will become more pleasant. Even if it’s a truck, driving it should not be a chore.
How can you tell if shocks are bad?
Quite a few signs are indicating that its shocks have gone bad.
If you notice that the steering wheel is vibrating, if there are rattling noises, if the car is dipping when brakes are actioned, if the truck is sliding to the side, if there are uneven wear marks on the tires, or if the stopping distances are longer or delayed, then you need to replace your shocks.
Which is better, shocks working or oil or gas?
Both shocks work just as well on trucks and you will sense the difference in the car’s performance as soon as you drive it.
However, a difference would be the fact that gas shocks tend to be more durable than those with oil, as it is more capable of dissipating heat more effectively.
The Toyota Tacoma 4×4 is a large and reliable truck that can easily handle a good number of difficult tasks, on a variety of terrains.
However, it should never function with damaged shocks, as it is unpleasant and unsafe for both the driver and passengers.
If the current shocks of the truck have exceeded the recommended mileage or present signs of wear and damage, it is recommended to replace the old shocks with new, better-performing shocks.
Hope our review helps you with your search for the best shocks for Toyota Tacoma 4×4 and this will come with a set of benefits for the driver and the car, such as improved comfort, better steering, more control, and an improved stance.